Once in a while, we like having our fried food or baked goods. What we don't like is all the unhealthy things like trans fats that come with frying food or baking with using standard shortenings. That's one of the reasons I was interested in trying Tropical Traditions Organic Palm Shortening.
Organic Palm Shortening is made from Palm Oil, with some of the unsaturated fats removed, making it solid, odorless and colorless. It has a pretty high smoke point, 450 degrees, making it great for frying. It's very shelf stable AND IT IS TRANS FAT FREE. Like Organic Coconut Oil and butter, it's a saturated fat that up until modern history has been considered healthy. In fact, much of what we were taught about certain saturated fats has been reversed and their hydrogenated replacements have been found to carry even more health risks.
Anyways, one of the things I've been really hungry for is Indian Fry Bread. So, I made up a batch of dough and used the Organic Palm Shortening to fry it up. It turned out great. We also used it for some good old fried potatoes and onions. Although we don't plan on going crazy with fried foods, it is great to know that our occasional splurge isn't so bad for us anymore. I definitely give it a thumbs up.
Now that the weather has cooled a bit I'm more likely to bake and I'm looking forward to trying it out in other ways as well (with temps in or over the mid 90's until this week, and just starting a new job two weeks ago, after over a year of being unemployed, baking has been the last thing on my mind).
You can also learn more about Tropical Traditions by watching the video How We Discovered Virgin Coconut Oil - An Interview with Brian Shilhavy, CEO Tropical Traditions
Thanks to Tropical Traditions you have a chance to win a gallon bucket of Tropical Traditions Organic Palm Shortening, a $35.75 value, to try for yourself! To enter:
Mandatory: check out Tropical Traditions and comment with a recipe you would like to try
- Leave separate comments for each entry. If it says 2 entries, leave 2 comments
- Sign up for Tropical Traditions newsletter for 3 entries
- Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter for 2 entries, leave user name
- Tweet this giveaway using: "RT @vlbsweeps @troptraditions Tropical Traditions Organic Palm Shortening giveaway http://bit.ly/bt0cJ ". This can be done daily, leave the link to the tweet in your comment.
- Blog about this giveaway with a link to this giveaway and to Tropical Traditions for 3 entries, leave direct link of your post.
- Open to those 18 years of age or older
- Open to US residents
- Email must available in profile or be in comment
- Winners chosen by random.org and notified by email
- Winner has 72 hours to claim, if prize is not claimed within 72 hours, an alternate winner will be chosen
- The prize will be shipped by the sponsor
- Entries are per person
Special Offer for First-Time Tropical Traditions Customers
Edit: This review and giveaway is based on sample product I received from Tropical Traditions.